A picture of Hemp plants being grown for Fiber production.
Our most frequently asked question is “How is Hemp different from regular Marijuana?”.Often people assume they are completely different plants while others believe they are identical.
Allow us to educate you on this subject!
The truth is both plants are essentially the same organism but have been bred over hundreds of years to contain/produce different things.
What is Hemp?
Hemp: Hemp is a CBD (non-psychoactive compound) dominant plant. This means it is primarily comprised of the compounds that do not give you a ‘High’ effect. Instead, it is cultivated for 3 essential purposes in the modern world.
1) Nutritional Purpose: The hemp plant is grown all over the world for the nutritional value it holds. From growing the plant for seeds too cultivating for the vegetative greens, the hemp plant provides an array of nutritional sustenance for humans and animals.
2) Fiber Purpose: The hemp plant is grown for its strong fibers found in its stalk. For thousands of years hemp fiber made up most of the textile fiber and paper pulp used.
3) Medicinal Purpose: The hemp plant is grown for its high concentrations of non-psychoactive compounds like CBD, CBN, CBG, and so forth. These oils are found in the flowering part of the hemp plant and are extracted for their beneficial medicinal aspects. Some of the reported medicinal aspects include anti-inflammatory, pain relief, anti-nausea, anti-tumor, aid in sleep, anti-anxiety, and so forth.
What is Marijuana?
Marijuana: Marijuana is a THC (the main psychoactive compound) dominant plant. This means it is primarily comprised of the compounds that do give you a ‘High’ effect. It is cultivated for 2 essential purposes in the modern world.
1) Medicinal Purpose: The marijuana plant is grown all over the world for the medicinal value it holds. The plants psychoactive compounds are said by people to have varying medicinal effects on the human mind and body. Anecdotal reports claim it can be used for pain relief, nausea, inflammation, anxiety, depression, anti-tumor effects, and so much more.
2) Recreational Purpose: The marijuana plant is grown around the world for the recreational usage it holds. The plants psychoactive compounds are used by people to obtain a ‘high’ that is reported by users to produce a blissful relaxing experience. This is due to the human body having an endocannabinoid system full of receptors that ignite when a person consumes marijuana.
Now that you know the difference between Hemp and Marijuana, feel free to learn more from our weekly blog posts! Our website is full of educational material to help you stay up-to-date and become a successful home grower. Simply click on our Blog tab below and learn more about this ever-changing industry.